Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blog #1
Bulla! (Hello) When I arrived in Fiji I felt relaxed instantly because of the calm atmosphere. Nothing is in time and they describe their time as Fiji time (no time!). Even though this can be very frustrating at times it is also good because you don’t have to worry about rushing around and being on time. Everybody is so friendly here and I’m not at all surprised that it is such a common holiday destination. I have been here for 5 days so far and have spent my time visiting little village markets and relaxing by the pool. I left the main land on Monday and am at Paradise Cove Resort on one of the little islands. Paradise Cove had only been open for 6 days when I got there and I was so surprised by how smoothly everything was going, I had been a bit worried that it wouldn’t be very organized but they proved me wrong.
Yesterday I went snorkelling with the manta rays (giant stingrays without a barb on their tail) and I was amazed at how such a huge animal with such great strength can be so gentle. There were so many brightly coloured fish and heaps of beautiful coral. It feels unreal when you are swimming in the ocean and you are all alone in a silent world you can really focus on the scenery around you. The only problem was all the tiny jelly fish that kept stinging us they didn’t really hurt but they were very annoying. When you look down into the water it is fascinating to see the huge mouths of the manta rays looking back up at you.
So far my holiday has been a success but I would recommend going on one of the big cruise boats because the seas can be very choppy. It wasn’t a very relaxed boat ride on the small motor, which I made the mistake of choosing to go on, we almost capsized multiple times and the boat started to fill up with water. Anyway that is all I have done so far but I will keep my blog updated as my journey continues. (I have attached photos from my holiday to this page too)

By Simone Marks

No comments:

Post a Comment