Tuesday, August 27, 2013


Blog #1
The Dead Sea and Ein Gedi


Even though my stay in Israel has been minimal, I already feel the place making an impression on me. One thing for certain is that it is beautiful. At the moment I am staying at the phenomenal Shkedi’s camp lodge, and I can tell you it is an experience like no other. The whole place is set up like a camp site, with multiple fires and gathering areas. The bedding, although not in the least bit flashy, is good enough. In a relatively large room around 8 mattresses are sprawled onto the wooden floor, and wrapped in cute old fashioned blankets. My room was relatively empty, and so there were copious amounts of blankets and pillows between the three of us in there. It certainly is not the type of place you come to get a good nights sleep. Although it is a place you come to meet interesting people. I was lucky enough to get along extremely well with another young woman my age (Annabel) and we were able to visit many of the nearby sights together. 
The camp fire of Shkedi’s camp lodge

The first place we ventured to was the remarkable Dead Sea. Although I have since discovered it is not actually a sea but a lake, it is also the lowest place on earth! Annabel had already visited the sea and advised me to wear old bathers because of all the salt and wear some ugly old water shoes as the extremely salty and rocky shore can be extremely uncomfortable! As we got there I was astounded by the picturesque scenery, the water was incredibly blue and everyone in the water looked like they were sitting on pool toys they were floating so high! I rushed to get in and try out the sensation. I must have looked crazy hopping from rock to rock in hideous pink crocs. As I got in the water my face must have dropped as I discovered I had a cut on my arm. The pain was atrocious, but I battled through and I soon got used to the sting. Over the two days we enjoyed the beach I still did not become accustomed to the obscene amounts of salt in the water. It really is not swimming but drifting in the water. It was funny to see younger kids trying to swim in the water – their flapping arms were waving with no control. 
The Dead Sea 
 Whilst staying at Shkedi’s Camp Lodge I also had the privilege of being able to visit Ein Gedi which is an incredible getaway, which surprisingly, I think I enjoyed as much as the Dead Sea. It is a rare treat to find something as remarkable as this in such an isolated place. It really was a strike of luck that I found it at all. When walking back from the Dead Sea I must have turned the wrong way and ended up finding the unprecedented Ein Gedi. The hot springs were so tranquil I could feel myself relaxing to the sound of the peaceful waterfalls. Although the place can get busy with tourists if you walk around you will soon find somewhere to yourself. I must say, I am not much of a fan of mud baths, although it was nice to change things up. It still baffles me to think that in the middle of the dessert there are two places as magnificent as these.  I literally cannot wait until I return, but there are a few other places on my bucket list that I need to attend to first.
Ein Gedi 




No comments:

Post a Comment