Already,
I am finding myself enveloped in the diversity of Malaysia and I am beginning
to truly appreciate what this spectacular culture has to offer. After venturing
through the country’s capital, Kuala Lumpur for the past few days, I feel lost
in this array of new beliefs and aspects of life I am not yet familiar with. It
is becoming progressively apparent to me that Malay people love to celebrate
but the way they express their customs
make me feel utterly displaced in a new world of remarkable yet horrific tradition.
My
latest Malay experience in the heart of Kuala Lumpur left me feeling engulfed
in a world of concrete jungles and remarkable man-made structures. Although I
thoroughly enjoyed journeying through this magnificent city, I must remember my
true intentions when planning this trip: to experience the ceremonial and rural
features of this country.
Having
arrived in Malaysia in late January, the crucial time for harvest, has me in
the midst of excitement, fun and celebration. I yearned for a fun, vibrant
festival to escape from the city scene. This proved more difficult than
initially thought until I found the annual Thaipusam festival posters splayed
across the ally way walls.
Held at
the renowned Batu Caves at full moon, the festival is a celebration of devotion
and gratitude. Every year, people of the Hindu faith sacrifice their bodies to
prove to the Hindu gods that they are still faithful and thankful to them. I
was beginning to lose confidence in my decision for trusting a flyer on the
back of a decrepit wall but I knew I would regret not experiencing this
festival if I left before the midst of celebration. I was greeted by the pulsating
crowds and the eccentric atmosphere. I stared in disbelief as the many devotees
began preparing for the 272 step climb to the caves. Climbing them is a victory
in itself, but in comparison to men carrying kavadis, I felt unperturbed. Kavadis is a physical burden as proof of their dedication to the Hindu gods. These
included hooks attached to their backs and many spears piecing their now
damaged skin.
When
reaching the pinnacle of the painful climb, I found all my previous feelings of
regret disappeared into the vibrant crowds and amazing scenery. The caves were
decorated with intricate statues and adorned with flowers. The aroma of
incense, the sound of the dedicated crowd, the sight of the beautiful caves and
the taste of new culture left me with a feeling of ecstasy. The Thaipusam
Festival will with me as I memory I will now cherish forever. This has been an
amazing experience in the depth of Malay culture but I now find myself looking
forward to lying comatose in my hotel in one of the most complex parts of
the world.



No comments:
Post a Comment