Dear reader,
Earlier today I finally touched down in Tribhuvan
International Airport. I've spent the rest of the day practically (as the
Nepali often say) in ninth heaven! As soon as I settled into my brilliant hotel
I've seen so much that I just have no idea where to start, so I’ll start at the
beginning. The first thing I saw as I left the not-so-safe-looking airport (a
minimalist area without the usual fast food outlets and souvenir shops that
fill most Australian airports) was grab a taxi which took me straight to my
hotel in inner-city Kathmandu. The taxi was an extremely uncomfortable drive; I
could barely fit into the back and the seats only had a thin layer of
cotton-like material as cushioning (fortunately it was unusually cool for most
of today so the heat wasn't that much of an issue). The drive was tolerable
however, because of the lovely views of terraced fields in Kathmandu Valley
which I could see through the grimy windows of the cab. Over-all the trip cost
me a full 1000 Nepalese Rupees as my driver was one of the many taxi drivers in
Nepal that do not use a meter and, although this is illegal, the corrupt
authorities do nothing to prevent this diddling of tourists. Once I reached my
hotel and settled my luggage in, I went straight off to one of the main cultural
centers of Buddhism: Bodnath Stupa. There I paid the modest sum of 200 rupees
for a full guided tour of this magnificent temple, with its huge concrete floor
and golden tower. I especially liked the intricate yet majestic carvings
throughout the temple. Afterwards I experienced the many shops and cultural
attractions around the Bodnath area, I’ll explain this later when I’m more
energized. Now that I’m back in my accommodation, the famous Dwarika's Hotel, I
am exhausted and I think I’ll go to sleep straight after I go out for dinner.
That’s all for today, I’ll keep you posted!
| Bodnath Stupa |
No comments:
Post a Comment