Mongolia blog 1
Mongolia
has hit a spot within me. Whether it is the breathtaking landscapes, the unperturbed
culture of the locals or even just the serene atmosphere; I don’t know. Or
perhaps it is a combination of them all. Either way, my stay in the Gun-Galuut
Nature reserve has been sensational so far. I have been staying in the Steppe
Nomads Eco Camp, which provides accommodation similar to the native Mongolians.
The natives traditionally live in a Ger (or yurt), a felt lined tent style hut
made quite low and simply. They are very important possessions for a family in
the Mongolian culture. I have been sleeping in one for the past three days, and
found them to be surprisingly cosy, surpassing my expectations. The camp itself
impressed me, as they are conscious and aware of the wonderful environment
around them and strive to keep it that way, which many places would not. I have
to say, I have not gone ‘full wilderness’, as the camp still has the luxury of
hot water and meals. Steppe Nomads also provide a wide range of activities for
guests, that don’t ruin the natural lands. I have been fortunate enough to meet
some of the local Nomads (amazing in itself – I have never met such down to
earth people), horse ride around the countryside (led by Nomads) and to kayak
on the Kherlen River. Somehow, although all I have kayaked and horse ridden
before, this was unforgettable, I have never seen a lake so undisturbed by
human contact. It pains me to think that I will ever have to leave this place. I
must now leave as I am visiting the Swan Gathering Lakes, Lakes Ayaga and
Ikh-Gun, where hundreds of swans gather each year. Just another thing that will
make me want to stay I’m sure.

No comments:
Post a Comment