I am
nearing the end of this incredible journey in Malaysia. My precious time here
is depleting at a rapid pace and yet, it feels like I have only been here for a
short period of time. The bustling city of Kuala Lumpur has left quite an
impression on me but I felt like I was ready to experience a completely
different side of this wonderful country. I decided to escape the city scene
and chase the sun. My strength is definitely not planning my trip to the last
detail, so I had to find the next destination during my time in Kuala Lumpur. My
arbitrary yet effective travel method of asking a local stranger led me to the
first place which escaped from their lips, Langkawi Island.
The
opportunity of taking a plane to the island arose but reaching into my pockets,
I felt I simply couldn’t afford the luxury of a 32 minute flight. So instead, I
hired a tacky rental car and began my 5 hour journey. Considering my driving
skills are not at all exceptional, I was extremely lucky as Malay people drive
on the left hand side of the road. The serene road trip was not at all as
expected. Unlike my vision of a hectic drive and trouble on the road, the trip
was quite pleasant. I hesitantly will admit, the musty odour from the previous
owner of the car made me feel overwhelmingly light headed and there was a stage
in the journey where I needed to stop and soak up the fresh air a fair distance
from the vehicle. Although this was the case, the scenery and thought of the
beautiful island awaiting me made me persevere.
Wholly
drained by my experience in the rental car, I continued my journey to my hotel,
the Berjaya Langkawi Resort by the water. I instantly fell in love with the
charming huts and although, I will confess, the welcoming bed was almost too
tempting to refuse, but I fought all of my desires and headed for my first
tourist destination, Langkawi Sky Bridge.
The Sky
Bridge is situated on the top of Mount Machinchang, 100m above ground level. To
access the bridge, a sky cable is needed. It was an exhilarating experience
ascending the mountain in a small cable car and I found myself in awe of the tranquil
environment around me. After reaching the cable station, I began my short trek
along the suspension bridge. Although the bridge is only 125m, I found the walk
lengthy, full of suspense and anticipation. The end of the bridge revealed the
surreal view of the Andaman Sea and all of the surrounding islands Malaysia has
to offer. This was a truly special moment which I will treasure and remember
for the rest of my life.
My time
in Malaysia is coming to a close and although there is so much more of the
country I would love to explore, the final region of Malaysia I visited was the
perfect way to finish a much needed journey of a lifetime. I am completely
satisfied that I have made the most of my time in this country and hope to
return to it someday in the future.




No comments:
Post a Comment