Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Blog #2

Blog #2

Agra, India.

I have been in Agra for two days and to say the least it has been a roller coaster with many turns, dips and heightening falls.

Today, I visited the Taj Mahal that I began to explain in my previous blog, the luxurious castle built in the 1500-1600’s by the emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his late third wife, Mumtaz Mahal. The Taj Mahal is a white marble mausoleum that became a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1983. The entry to the palace through the gardens was an adventure in itself! The Great Gate (Darwaza-i rauza) that lead to the grounds surrounding the palace was unforgettable, made of red sandstone with imposing archways and intricate marble work. Then passing through the Great Gate archway which opens up into the gardens surrounding the colossal mausoleum. The view of the Taj Mahal from the main entrance is that snapshot that you've seen a thousand times, the classic old time postcard favorite which I of course also photographed.
.
atukula ladduMy favorite part was standing on a balcony, feeling the air whip against me and staring down into the never ending land that surrounded the Taj Mahal. I could feel the history and past of the castle soak into my pores and infiltrating my senses.  As lunched approached I followed my nose and made my way to the large cafeteria that was located next to the gift store. Scanning the food I found that everything seemed slightly dodgy except for (Atukula Laddu) Beaten Rice, a dessert. I purchased one and instantly fell in love with the sweet and smooth flavors that exploded in my mouth! With the flavor still in my lingering I bought another and have it stashed it in my bag (I’ll be indulging in some more when I finish this post). Once I had satisfied my growling stomach I progressed on through the castle and was eventually kindly asked-multiple times- to leave the stunning mausoleum by the guides.

The Taj Mahal is an experience I will hold forever, in my memory and in the hundreds of snaps I took of everything and anything. This will be a treasured memory and after my experience I would encourage everyone to visit the Taj Mahal one day.


Mia.

No comments:

Post a Comment