Blog #2
trekking through Nepal
Yesterday
was my last day in Kathmandu city, I checked out of my hotel and quickly bought
some of the local food. I had a dish called sel which resembled a donut
but was made out of rice flour. Soon after I met my guide, who would take me
all around the Himalayas. He’s name is Nischal which is one of the most popular
names in Nepal. We caught a bus to BesiSahar. I was a bit reluctant to get off
the bus because I was a bit nervous because I was about to experience one
of the most amazing experiences I have ever done, but also one of the
most tough and excruciating things I will do in my life. Nischal lead me
to a small building, or a shed were I was told about a few rules , tips and I
had to sign some forms. I re packed my bag, pulled on my hiking boots and was
ready to go within an hour of being in BesiSahar.


The next four hikes, which
took four days were exhausting but were worth it. The sights we saw were
absolutely amazing. We trekked from Jagat to Dharapani, to Koto and then to
Pisang. We would eat together, and there was no T.V. or internet so we would
rejuvenate our bodies and all go to bed straight after dinner. We all got round
10-11 hours of sleep so that we were ready to trek the next day.

The next
ten days were very enjoyable and the treks were getting easier or we were
getting used to them. Most villages that we trekked through, were poor and very
isolated so when they saw us foreign people many of the villagers would come
and greet us. The village would turn from a quiet peaceful village to a place
filled with people shouting “Namaste” “Khana khannu bhaiyo?” “Tapaiiko naam ke ho?” I had to
decline many kind offers because of our schedule but was tempted many times to
see more of the village and the villagers. By the 13th day of
trekking we had got all of the way to base camp. We felt very accomplished, but
we still had 17 more days of trekking to go. The next 17 days of trekking were
better because we were getting closer to our destination, the Himalayas! We
trekked back to BesiSahar through a different route. The quality of the air
was impeccable, and gave me the strength to take each step. On the last day of
trekking we trekked from Ngadi to BesiSahar to the Himalayas.

my legs were aching, I could feel the sun burning my skin and I was so hot I thought I was in a sauna. I felt like giving up, but I couldn’t on the last hurdle. I had gotten used to the altitude and it did not affect me as much. The mountains and hills were so high that the ground was nearly touching my nose, and the rocks were sliding from under my feet , I was ready to faint when I heard the familiar words that I had heard every day for the last thirty days, “we’re here!”. I could not believe I had accomplished such a task! This had been a gruelling achievement but when I looked out onto the view, I was hypnotised with the beauty of the landscape in front of me. We all stood there for at least 15 minutes taking in this amazing sight and recapitulating on the last thirty days.

No comments:
Post a Comment