I was greeted back to Ulaanbaatar by a cold wind, a
reminder that winter was not far away. Mongolia has some of the coldest winters
on the planet, reaching to below -30°c. Fortunately for me, the temperature is
still above 10°. On the way back to the hotel, I stopped off at the eminent
Genghis Khan Statue Complex. After my time in the country, the crowds and
tourists proved more annoying than I like to admit (then again, I am one of
them). Either way, it was a very impressive statue, well suiting its monarch.
Genghis Khan (also known as Chinggis Khan) was a Mongolian Emperor in
approximately 1200 AD. He brought together all the Mongolian tribes of the time
under his militaristic rule. He is said to have killed up to 40 million people,
mainly tribes from neighbouring countries. I’m just glad he is only a statue
now! Even so, Khan was an important historical figure and heavily influenced
Mongolia toady. This was a very interesting and informative experience for me.
My next few days went in a blur. I would wake every
morning to the Ulaanbaatar skyline, full of tall buildings and bustling streets
with mountains lining the background. The contrast it not something I’ve seen
before, of dusty structures against desert background, dead and empty. I still
sit amazed at the feel of remoteness even in such a capital.
It all came as quite a contrast to the outback that I was
previously in. Of the approximate 2 million people in Mongolia, nearly half
reside here in Ulaanbaatar. That being said, it is quite a busy place. Even
though I am trying to learn about the local culture and not just be a
‘tourist’, it is hard not to be on edge. Previously, the easy going Nomads
showed very little interest in modern societal life. Here, one has to be very
careful about pick pocketing and other petty crimes, even being followed
(especially for a female). Already I have had a set of bracelets that were in
my back pocket go missing. Nevertheless, even with this at the back of my mind,
I strove to enjoy the atmosphere and attractions of Ulaanbaatar that I could,
while I was here.
The food in the city is quite cheap, and although it is apparent
that no one travels to Mongolia for its cuisine. There is a range of Asian and
Western options, so I have not been particularly adventurous. I had my
exploration of local cookery in the nature reserve in the first part of my trip,
so I am treating myself to more familiar cuisine.
All good things must come to
an end, and far too soon. I leave Mongolia tomorrow, heading homeward. My time
here has been eye opening, and I do recommend a visit for and travellers. I
didn’t fully realize how different two places could be, and this journey will
stay with me.
No comments:
Post a Comment