Blog
#2
Tel
Aviv
Tel Aviv has so much more to offer than I originally
thought. I must admit, I probably did not partake in enough research on the
stunning place, but I think it has been better this way. I managed to have a
relatively comprehensive conversation with a taxi driver named Asher on the way
from the airport. He gave me some idea
of what to do once I dropped my bags off at the hotel. Although I found his
husky accent difficult to understand. It seemed that the first place to
visit on his list was Jaffa and the old port. I decided it was best to delve
strait into my experience in Tel Aviv and I only stopped for a few minutes in
my hotel. I asked Asher to wait for me outside in the car park as I quickly
dropped of my bags. My hopes were relatively low for the place as Asher’s
descriptive language was limited, but I was pleasantly surprised upon my
arrival. Each and every building was made from an astonishing stone that looked
old, but had still weathered well – becoming almost shiny due all the people
who had travelled along the paths prior to me. The streets turned and reviled
lovey jewellery shops and art galleries that exhibited a wide range of eye
catching items.
![]() |
Jaffa from the pier
|
As night fell upon the city, if anything, Jaffa
became even more wondrous; opening the doors to a whole new experience. I had
been making my way through the city for hours and was almost entirely lost. My
worries had not set in yet and I was more focused on finding some food. I
stumbled upon cute little restaurant that was covered by vines and I enjoyed all
of the Middle Eastern flavoured dishes. Inside it was wonderfully decorated, it occurred to me that perhaps I had discovered one of the best restaurants in town.
I was hoping to return to it the following night, although I was unable to find
it. As I tried to make my way back to my hotel I soon became lost in a sea of
stone buildings that all looked the same. Each turn I got more and more lost
and I soon came to an area littered with cats. I have honestly never seen so
many felines in one place. They popped out of bins and small crevices and
looked at you curiously. Surprisingly they seemed healthy enough and were not
dirty or skinny. Soon enough I gave up on finding my way out alone and decided
to hail a taxi on the largest road I could fine and I soon returned to my
hotel.
![]() |
The cats
|
It was a massive relief to be back at the hotel
and finally rest my surprisingly sore fear. It was the first time since I arrived in
Israel I was staying in conditions much like those at home. As I entered my
room I was astounded by the intricate well thought through designs that
littered the whole room. I must say, I had the best night sleep I had had in a
long time; especially because of the lack of company. The staff members were kind, although not
overly welcoming and annoying. The man at the door however was quite strange
and abrupt, although I had since discovered he had quite serious hearing
problems. I was almost sad that morning when it was time to leave the stunning
hotel to go and enjoy the sights Tel Aviv has to offer.
![]() |
My hotel bed
|
The next morning I was fortunate enough to have
blue skies and a 30 degree day. Although I have since discovered that these
conditions are normal in the city. I had decided the previous night that I
would venture to a more modern section of Tel Aviv. I visited the Carmel
market, which was about to burst with the phenomenal amounts of colours that
were consuming its narrow paths. There were overwhelming calls from stalls
asking you to come by their produce and locals bartering in foreign languages
to get better prices. The feel of the
place was so energised, people were constantly pushing past you, and it was as
if time itself had been sped up. There was such a wide variety of stalls that
covered everything from pets to food. I managed to buy myself a few things,
such as spices, halva and a swim suit. It only took an hour of walking before the
heat truly sank in. I then slowly made my way to the beach in hope of a
relaxing swim. The water was so much warmer than I expected, it required no
shivering to get into and I could stay in for hours. There was a large stone
water break that I could sunbathe on without getting smothered in sand, and it
was beautiful watching people slowly pack up and go home as the sun set.
![]() |
Sunset on the beach
|
Tel Aviv has so much more to offer than I
originally thought. Although sometimes the Israel can be quite confronting,
with poverty, solders and the constant threat of terrorist attacks;
surprisingly it has a very comfortable feel. Even though standing next to a
strong man holding a big gun in army uniform should be horrifying, it almost
makes me feel safer. Israel is incredibly different to anything I have
experienced. It is certainly a place that is worth visiting at least once.




No comments:
Post a Comment