Hello again,
I have recently arrived in Chiang Mai, which is the
largest and most culturally significantly city in northern Thailand and this
old city holds lots of rich heritage and culture. One of the first things I did
after settling into my new hotel, which is the Yantarasri resort was wake up
early the next day and go for an early morning hike up Doi Suthep. Many people
in Chiang Mai consider Doi Suthep a holy mountain. At the foot of the mountain
there is an entrance to a stairway, which has craved serpents running up the
stair as a hand rail. After a tiring hike up the mountain I found myself at the
entrance to a Buddhist temple, the temple over looks Chiang Mai and offers
amazing views over northern Thailand. The temple has beautiful gold Chedi and
according to legend the temple dates back to 14th century.
After the hike I was very hungry so I decide to go to
Huen Pen, which offers spicy foods that include Burmese and Chinese spices. The
restaurant was packed, mostly full of taxi drivers digging into steaming
curries. While I was there I had a khao Soi, which is a delicious mix of creamy
curry, crispy egg noddles, slices of pickled cabbage and bits of shallot and
lime. The dish was exquisite as well as extremely hot. After lunch I decide to walk around Chiang
Mai and found myself at a spice market for dinner. I had a spicy squid salad
which had an interesting flavour. But looking around I saw students discussing
Buddhism and other foreign people such as Frenchmen.
The last thing I did in Chiang Mai was head down
Nimanhaemin Road, a major design drag,
for boutiques that sell pottery, textiles and other crafts, Chiang Mai
has become a design laboratory with foreign and Thai designers blending
traditional styles with minimalistic ones.
I saw art students wandering the streets and occasionally whipping out
note pads. There were stores that sold lamps made out of mulberry paper, bamboo
furniture stores and much more.
I have had an excellent time in Thailand and I hope to be
back soon.


No comments:
Post a Comment